COVID-19 and The Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
Scammers are taking advantage of fears surrounding the Coronavirus. The Federal Trade Commission has a few tips to help you avoid scams.
- Don’t respond to texts, emails or calls about checks from the government. The details are still coming together.
- Ignore online offers for vaccinations and home test kits. There are no products proven to treat or prevent COVID-19 at this time.
- Hang up on robocalls. Scammers are using illegal robocalls to pitch everything from low-priced health insurance to work-at-home schemes.
- Watch for emails claiming to be from the CDC or WHO. Use sites like coronavirus.gov and usa.gov/coronavirus to get the latest information. And don’t click on links from sources you don’t know.
- Do your homework when it comes to donations. Never donate in cash, by gift card, or by wiring money.
If you come across any suspicious claims, report them to the FTC at ftc.gov/complaint.